Monday, February 12, 2007

Family

UKS Blog Prompt: Family Matters - what is your background, are you part of a big or small family, are you close? how often do you see your family, and is there anything you would like to improve or change about your family life?

Family is a really important thing to me. DH and DD are my life - I wouldn't be me without them :)

Myself and DH have been together since I was 15. I can't imagine us not being together (well, most of the time anyway!) and he is also my best friend. DD is just a total little treasure (again, most of the time!).

I've got 2 sisters. R is 6 years younger and L is 9 years younger. Growing up myself and L were very close but now we really have very little in common. We have such different outlooks on life, ideas on bringing up children, work ethics - everything really! Although she only lives over the other side of the Mersey (about 3 miles) we rarely see each other and don't even text hat often.

As aduts R and I now have the closeness that we never had growing up. Looking back I can now see that as a teenager I really resented having a 7 year old hanging round me, cramping my style but having a toddler sister was somehow 'cute' - crazy I know, but that's teenagers for you! R now lives in Manchester (about 20 miles away) and we try to meet up every couple of weeks (at least once a month if not more) and we chat/text several times a week. As we get older we are becoming more similar.

Parents are a totally different issue! My parents divorced about 5 or 6 years ago. My mum died 2 years ago but I can't say that any of her daughters felt close to her. During the last few years of her life she had a number of 'issues' and instead of allowing us to help she did everything possible to push is all away. I guess in the end she got her wish!

Dad is remarried and lives in Thailand. He comes over about once a year but other than that we don't really have much of a 'relationship'. He has a new life now and is only in contact wth any of us when he wants something.

My in-laws are total treasures. They look after DD on a regular basis and are always there if I want a chat. Don't get me wrong, they drive me absolutely potty but I'd be lost without them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

nice to know a little more about you and your family life etc. Funny how things can change so much in such a short time. x

8:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

families are funy things...mines really odd...! But Sally's right, its so nice to hear a little more about yours ...And I am oddly grateful to my unsupportive family because I learned early in life to build and maintain a good group of friends who I guess are my surrogate family really....

my online friends like you hun are a big part of that x

thank you x ..Now shall I call you aunty Cara or Cousin Cara??????

4:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home